Everyone is different. It’s not reasonable to expect that everyone wants to live the same life. But, to step outside the options that society deems to be acceptable can be a little scary. Our need to impress and be accepted can be very strong.
Perhaps you’ve never really considered what your dream life would be. It’s hard to hit a target that you’ve never identified.
Follow these steps to imagine the best life you could possibly have and then live it:
1. Be true to yourself. You can’t live your best life if you’re pretending to be someone or something that you’re not. The first step in living your best life is to admit to yourself who you really are. Be honest about your likes, dislikes, and dreams.
> Maybe you would like to live in a cabin in the woods and grow all of your food.
> Or do you love the idea of minimalism and frugality?
> Do you prefer animals to people?
> Would you like to live in a commune?
> Do you love to play the accordion?
> Would you like to travel the world like a nomad without a home base?
> Do you want to spend all of your time and resources saving the planet?
> Does the idea of having children horrify you? Or would you like to try for 13 kids?
> Choose what appeals to you. Any admiration or scorn you receive from others won’t last long enough for your cup of coffee to get cold.
2. Make a plan. Relying on chance or luck is a losing game in the long run. If you want a specific life, it’s important to choose it and then make a plan to get there. Make a long-term plan that begins with something you can do today.
3. Execute your plan. Many people love to dream and plan. That’s the easy and fun part. Unfortunately, few people ever take the first step in their plan. They never get started.
> Take some sort of action each day outlined by your plan. You don’t have to do an amazing amount of work each day to make significant progress over time. A little each day eventually grows into substantial results.
> The hardest part is getting started, so ensure that you get started as soon as possible. There will never be a perfect time to begin. Begin now and make the best of it. Everything changes once you actually begin.
4. Learn from your mistakes. Neither you nor your plan is flawless. You will make mistakes and try things that don’t work. That should be expected. Decide that you’re going to learn from your mistakes, adjust your approach, and try again.
5. Focus. Keep your attention on those things that are relevant regarding your plans. Reject nearly everything else.
> Why are you gossiping about your coworkers or neighbors?
> Still upset about how your ex cheated on you 13 years ago?
> Annoyed by the price of gasoline?
> What do any of these sorts of things have to do with achieving your goals and attaining your dream life? (Nothing.)
6. Finish. You can’t live your best life if you give up on your quest to attain it. Keep going until you’ve arrived where you want to be.
Your best life is out there ready for you to claim it! Be completely honest with yourself, make a plan, and stick with it until you’ve arrived. The life you desire is attainable and within your reach. Do you have the courage to make it happen?
Take a chance on feeling happy and fulfilled. Chase after your dream life.
The Circle of Life
Reveal the “big picture” of your true dreams – and pave the road for a real, personalized action plan
I am a Board Certified Life Coach, a Board Certified Health Coach, and a teacher of Mindfulness Living who helps people unlock their potential and live life on Purpose
Receive, via email, our Action Guides, EBooks, Worksheets, Checklist, and Life Tips we only share with our communtiy