Are you sometimes surprised by your emotions? You suddenly feel very sad or angry, even when part of you knows it’s out of proportion to what’s going on at the moment. If so, you could be experiencing an emotional trigger. The Secret to Managing Your Emotional Triggers
That’s the psychological term for when your reaction has more to do with your past than the present situation. In the most serious cases, triggers can be related to post traumatic stress disorder. To a lesser extent, they’re also a routine part of life for most adults.
For example, you may like your job and enjoy working with your boss. Then, one day you want to quit because she looked in your desk drawer without asking first. When you examine your response more closely, you remember how you felt when your parents or your spouse violated your privacy in similar ways. The Secret to Managing Your Emotional Triggers
Healing your sore spots will help you to be happier and more successful. Try these strategies for dealing with emotional triggers.
Short Term Strategies for Dealing with Emotional Triggers
While triggers are commonplace, they can still wreak havoc. You want to avoid outbursts that could derail your career or relationships you care about. The Secret to Managing Your Emotional Triggers
Use these strategies:
1. Slow down. Resist the impulse to react immediately. Give yourself time to think things through. Count to ten or take a walk around the block.
2. Breathe deeply. The way you breathe can help you soothe yourself and clarify your thinking. Inhale through your nostrils rather than your mouth. Lengthen your exhalations in order to relax. The Secret to Managing Your Emotional Triggers
3. Distract yourself. If you’re still overwhelmed, you may want to think about something else until you’re in a safe place. Repeat positive affirmations or plan what you’re going to make for dinner.
4. Communicate directly. Be assertive. Advocate for your needs and enforce your boundaries. Show others the same consideration you want for yourself. The Secret to Managing Your Emotional Triggers
5. Rehearse your response. If your triggers are predictable, you can practice what to do in a neutral setting. Look in a mirror or write out what you want to say.
6. Set limits. Treat yourself with patience and compassion. You may need to avoid some situations while you’re working your way up to navigating them.
Longer Term Strategies for Dealing with Emotional Triggers
Managing triggers is important, but you need to dig deeper. Addressing the root causes will help you to enjoy greater peace of mind. The Secret to Managing Your Emotional Triggers
Try these techniques:
1. Take time for daily reflection. Increasing your self-awareness is key. Sit down and observe your thoughts without making judgements. Try journaling.
2. Accept your feelings. Acknowledge difficult emotions without blaming yourself or trying to suppress them. Stay connected with how you’re feeling throughout the day.
3. Tolerate uncertainty. Triggers often involve feeling helpless. Face the reality that some things are beyond your control and devote your energy to the areas in your life where you can make positive changes.
4. Seek support. When you’re ready, talk about your triggers with someone you trust. Let your family and friends know how they can help you. Developing close relationships also gives you a sense of security that can make triggers less intense. The Secret to Managing Your Emotional Triggers
5. Show respect. Describing someone as being triggered is sometimes an insult used to dismiss their experiences. Validating others creates a healthier environment for each of us.
6. Consider counseling. For more assistance, you may want to speak with a mental health professional. Therapy can give you greater insights into your behavior and teach you valuable coping skills. Ask your doctor for a referral or contact organizations like the American Psychological Association.
Triggers are stubborn things, but you can develop the skills to manage them. Empower yourself by taking care of your emotional health. The Secret to Managing Your Emotional Triggers
Do you ever go over the same thoughts or situations repeatedly in your head? If so, you’re not alone – many people experience periods of overthinking. And while it’s normal to think things through every once in a while, it can be counterproductive and even harmful when it becomes a regular occurrence. Overthinking: Five Ways to Stop It in its Tracks
Let’s discuss five ways to stop overthinking in its tracks:
1. Recognize when you’re overthinking and identify the thoughts or situations triggering it. One of the first steps to stopping overthinking is knowing when it’s happening. Overthinking: Five Ways to Stop It in its Tracks
> Here are some examples of overthinking: For some people, overthinking occurs in specific situations, like when under pressure at work or dealing with a personal issue.
> It may be more general for others, like when they’re feeling anxious or stressed.
> Identifying the thoughts or situations that trigger your overthinking can help you be more aware of it happening and take steps to prevent it.
2. Write your thoughts to get them out of your head and onto paper. It’s helpful to write your thoughts when you’re overthinking. It can help to clear your head and allow you to see the situation more objectively. Overthinking: Five Ways to Stop It in its Tracks
> Writing things down can also help you identify any patterns in your thinking, such as negative thinking or self-doubt.
> If you overthink regularly, it may be helpful to keep a journal to track your thoughts and progress.
3. Give yourself time to calm down and relax before addressing the situation, causing overthinking. Once you’ve identified the thoughts or situations triggering your overthinking, it’s essential to give yourself time to calm down and relax before addressing them. Overthinking: Five Ways to Stop It in its Tracks
> It can help you think more clearly and make better decisions. There are many ways to relax. Here are some helpful ideas: Take a break from the situation that’s causing the overthinking and do something you enjoy.
> To relax, exercise or take a walk in nature. Practice deep breathing. Listen to calm music. Try aromatherapy or take a warm bath or shower. Write your thoughts and feelings in a journal.
4. Talk to someone else about the situation – getting another perspective can help you see things more clearly. When you’re overthinking a problem, it’s helpful to talk to someone else about it. It can provide you with a different perspective and help you see things more clearly. Overthinking: Five Ways to Stop It in its Tracks
> It’s important to choose someone who will listen without judgment and who you can trust to be honest with you. It may also be helpful to talk to a professional, such as a therapist or counselor. Talking about your overthinking can help to reduce its frequency and intensity.
> If you’re not sure how to start the conversation, here are some helpful tips: Explain that you’re struggling with overthinking and would like to talk about it. Be honest about how you’re feeling and what’s going on in your mind.
> Ask the other person for their thoughts and opinions on the situation. Listen to what they have to say without judgment.
5. Learn to focus on the present moment instead of dwelling on the past or future. This can help you concentrate on everyday things and be more aware of your thoughts and feelings. Overthinking: Five Ways to Stop It in its Tracks
> It can help stop overthinking as it can help you see thoughts as just thoughts rather than getting caught up in them.
Overthinking can be a tough habit to break, but it is possible. By recognizing the thoughts and situations that trigger your overthinking, you can stop it in its tracks. Writing things down, talking to someone else about the situation, and using the elimination technique can help break the cycle of overthinking. Overthinking: Five Ways to Stop It in its Tracks
If you struggle with overthinking regularly, it may be helpful to keep a journal to track your thoughts and progress. Once you’ve identified the ideas or situations triggering your overthinking, it’s important to give yourself time to calm down and relax before addressing them. It can help you think more clearly and make better decisions. Overthinking: Five Ways to Stop It in its Tracks
Check out this week’s affirmation: I set goals and persevere to achieve success.
What is Success?
To many, success is obvious. It’s a life that includes a nice car, fine home, impressive job, and attractive spouse. Yet, people with all of these things aren’t any happier than those with less impressive lives. It’s because all of those achievements only serve to impress others. They do little to enhance the quality of your life. Affirmation I set goals and persevere to achieve success.
Those with large homes still spend 80% of their time in just a couple of rooms. A $20,000 car provides just as reliable transportation as an $80,000 car. Even the most attractive people can become tiresome after a short period of time.
Success in the western world is too focused on showing off to your friends, family, and neighbors. It doesn’t focus on what will make you happy. You can’t find happiness by trying to impress others. You only show yourself that your own interests aren’t important. Affirmation I set goals and persevere to achieve success.
I set goals and persevere to achieve success.
I am thankful for focusing on what matters most to me, and I am so focused on my career pursuits and financial security. Affirmation I set goals and persevere to achieve success.
Setting goals helps me achieve great things in all aspects of my life, and because I do this, I achieve great success in every part of my life.
I have a sense of pride and gratitude for creating an outstanding track record. Affirmation I set goals and persevere to achieve success.
It takes courage to pursue my dreams. It takes courage to push through the doubts and naysayers. I use my energy to stay focused on my goals. I learn how to ignore distractions.
I know that I can eventually reach my goals if I work hard. I refuse to let setbacks stop me from working harder and overcoming obstacles – I just keep going until I succeed. Affirmation I set goals and persevere to achieve success.
I am determined to reach my goals. I continue to pursue my life dream because I know that I can succeed.
I commit to reaching my personal and professional goals, and regardless of how long it takes to see results, I keep going, which is why I stick with my plan and commit my time and effort.
I am aware of my potential and conscious of my actions. I am confident in the direction of my life, and I see the light at the end of the tunnel. Affirmation I set goals and persevere to achieve success.
Today, I am committed and dedicated to achieving my dreams. Whatever it takes, I keep moving forward persistently. I can genuinely say that I have succeeded.
1. How does one become successful in all aspects of their life?
2. What are some ways that I can improve my performance?
3. Where can I apply persistence to achieve my highest level of success?
Are you looking to change your life but don’t know where to start? Don’t worry. You’re not alone. Many people feel overwhelmed when they think about making changes, especially if those changes are big and challenging. That’s why it’s important to start small. The Five-Step Method of Starting Small to Improve Yourself
Here, we’ll discuss the five-step method of starting small to improve yourself. By following these steps, you can make gradual progress towards your goals and eventually achieve them!
Here are five practical steps to help you start your self-improvement journey:
1. Don’t change everything at once. Start with one small goal that you can easily achieve. For example, if your goal is to eat healthier, start by adding one new healthy food to your diet each week. Or, if you want to exercise more, commit to walking for 20 minutes every day. The Five-Step Method of Starting Small to Improve Yourself
> Small goals are much easier to achieve than large ones, and they can help you build momentum.
> If you try to change everything at once, you’re likely to get overwhelmed and give up. So start small and be patient with yourself. Remember that progress is more important than perfection. The Five-Step Method of Starting Small to Improve Yourself
> Here are some useful tips to help you start small: Set realistic goals that you can achieve. You must only end up disappointed if you set big, overwhelming goals. Instead, set clear, targeted, realistic goals that you can achieve.
> For example, don’t set a goal to make $1 million in a week. Although it’s not impossible, it’s more realistic to set a small monthly goal: “I will earn $2000 a month from my online writing business by August 2022.”
> Setting specific, attainable goals is one of the best ways to improve yourself. If goals daunt you, you can set the goal and focus on the process instead. The Five-Step Method of Starting Small to Improve Yourself
> For example, if you need to lose weight, forget about the number on the scale and focus on the actions you need to take every day to lose weight.
> You will need to exercise often and eat healthy meals. Therefore, each day, you can set a goal to walk 10,000 steps and to eat one healthy meal. The Five-Step Method of Starting Small to Improve Yourself
2. Make a plan of action and stick to it. It will help you stay focused and motivated. Write your goals and action steps, and then put them somewhere you’ll see them often. Make sure your plan is specific and realistic to follow through with it. Also, track your progress and celebrate your wins.
> Break down your goal into smaller goals or action steps. It will make it seem more achievable, and you’ll be able to track your progress more easily. The Five-Step Method of Starting Small to Improve Yourself
> Take action every day. Even if it’s just a small step, working towards your goal is more important than taking sporadic giant steps.
3. Celebrate your wins. It will help you stay motivated and keep progressing towards your goal. Acknowledge even your smallest accomplishments and give yourself credit for your progress. Recognize that every step forward is a success, no matter how small it may seem.
> Some ideas for celebrating your accomplishments: Buy yourself something new as a treat, such as a new pair of shoes, a new handbag, gaming equipment, or a new book. Take yourself out for a meal or to see a movie.
> Do something you enjoy, such as taking a relaxing bath, playing your favorite sport, or going for a massage.
> Tell your friends and family about your accomplishments and ask them to celebrate with you. The Five-Step Method of Starting Small to Improve Yourself
> Write about your success in a journal. It is a great way to reflect on your progress and stay motivated. You can also start a YouTube channel to document your journey. People like to watch others achieve their goals.
The Five-Step Method of Starting Small to Improve Yourself
I am a Board Certified Life Coach, a Board Certified Health Coach, and a teacher of Mindfulness Living who helps people unlock their potential and live life on Purpose
4. Don’t be too hard on yourself. Everyone makes mistakes, and you’re bound to have setbacks along the way. What’s important is that you learn from your mistakes and keep going. Be patient with yourself and remember that progress takes time. The Five-Step Method of Starting Small to Improve Yourself
> Forgive yourself. It is essential to move on from your mistakes. Do this by practicing self-compassion. It’s vital if you want to improve yourself.
> Focus on the present. The past is in the past, and you can’t change it. All you can do is focus on the present moment and make the best of it.
> Learn from your mistakes. Make sure you understand what went wrong to avoid making the same mistake again. The Five-Step Method of Starting Small to Improve Yourself
> Let go of perfectionism. Accept that you’re human and that it’s okay to make mistakes. Perfectionism can be a massive obstacle on the road to self-improvement, so learn to let go of it.
> Practice self-care. It is one of the most important things you can do for yourself. When you’re taking care of yourself, you’re more likely to be in a better frame of mind and better able to improve yourself.
5. Be patient and keep working towards your goals, even when things get tough. It’s normal to have setbacks and feel discouraged. But don’t give up on yourself. Be patient, and keep working towards your goal, no matter how long it takes. Remember that progress is more important than perfection. The Five-Step Method of Starting Small to Improve Yourself
> Find a role model or mentor who has achieved what you want to achieve. It will give you some insight and inspiration. Talk to them whenever you need a boost, but ultimately learn how to motivate yourself.
> Join a community or group of people who are working towards similar goals. It will provide support and motivation. You can find online groups or meetups in your area.
> Create a vision board for what you want to achieve. It will help you stay focused on your goals and visualize what you want to achieve. You can create a physical or digital vision board to help you imagine and visualize your goals. The Five-Step Method of Starting Small to Improve Yourself
> Set weekly or monthly goals to track your progress and see how far you’ve come. It will help you stay motivated even when you do not see results immediately.
> Find a friend or family member who will support you on your journey. It is someone you can rely on for encouragement and accountability.
> Read motivational books or listen to podcasts. It is a great way to get inspired and learn new tips and tricks.
Starting small is a great way to improve yourself without feeling overwhelmed. Remember to set realistic goals, make a plan of action, and be patient. And don’t forget to celebrate your accomplishments and practice self-compassion. With these five steps, you’ll be on your way to a better version of yourself. The Five-Step Method of Starting Small to Improve Yourself
Don't Wait Any Longer. Start Forging Your Own Path Today!
Receive, via email, our Action Guides, EBooks, Worksheets, Checklist, and Life Tips we only share with our communtiy
Check out this week’s affirmation: I have more power than I realize.
Your self-image is the way you view yourself. You might view yourself as a parent, construction worker, friend, blonde, sports fan, intelligent, impatient, and middle-aged. But you’re more than your career, gender, and age. You’re more than your parents’ opinion.
You’re a unique person with nuances that are unique to you! Affirmation I have more power than I realize.
When who you are aligns with what you do, you’re living authentically. But most of us view ourselves as one way and live another. Authentic people act honestly and congruently. Affirmation I have more power than I realize.
I have more power than I realize.
As a human being, the possibilities that I possess are as yet untold. I learn how to handle situations in a way that brings me success.
I now understand the concept of personal power. I recognize that I am mighty. When I decide on a course of action, it creates an effect in the universe.
The power I have comes through the conscious manifestation of my desires. My beliefs create my reality. If I believe that I am powerless, I become powerless. Affirmation I have more power than I realize.
An opportunity to take action and affect my reality is created and put in motion by each thought I have. Now I understand this, and I choose my thoughts wisely.
As I grow older, I understand the power of my mind, but I also accept that I can control every aspect of my life.
My choices and my actions are what create my results. I learn how to set goals and achieve those goals. Affirmation I have more power than I realize.
The only possible reason I can fail is that I choose to give up on my dreams. I choose the direction of my life.
Thinking you have power and actually having the power to take action are two very different things. I focus on awareness of this fact in life.
Today, I am intentional in manifesting what my desires are in life. I work to increase my awareness. I learn to love myself first before loving others. Self-love breeds the most beautiful energy. This is my path. Affirmation I have more power than I realize.
1. When was the last time I felt more power than I thought possible?
2. How do I feel when I realize I have control over my life?
3. What part of my belief system does empowerment play in my life?
Your sense of self influences your thoughts, emotions, and actions. At the same time, a sense of self refers to a person’s self as a product of their beliefs, ideas, and perceptions. How to Strengthen Your Sense of Self in Order to Reduce Negative Thoughts
Your personality traits, likes and dislikes, moral code, and belief system combine to define your unique identity.
A person with a strong sense of self finds it easy to understand and communicate these different aspects that form them. On the other hand, a person who finds it hard to express these characteristics tends to have a less defined sense of self. How to Strengthen Your Sense of Self in Order to Reduce Negative Thoughts
Regardless of which camp you fall in and whether or not you take the time to think about yourself, you’re still affected. A person who knows who he is lives with a great sense of self-confidence and self-esteem.
On the other hand, a person who is not sure of his identity or self will often act in ways that are inconsistent with their true feelings and beliefs. These people may feel mixed emotions and express themselves in ways that don’t match their true intentions.
The problem doesn’t stop there. If a person believes that they cannot change their personality traits or skills, they can become discouraged about life. How to Strengthen Your Sense of Self in Order to Reduce Negative Thoughts
That’s where negative thoughts can develop.
Try these strategies to reduce negative thoughts by clarifying your sense of self:
1. State or describe the nature of your values in detail. Values are the building blocks of a person’s identity. Some view their values as a set of universal principles that might be true for everyone. However, values are more personal.
> A person’s values come from their own family and beliefs. They may also derive from the environment in which they live, from their religious beliefs, and cultural influences. A person can have more than one set of values simultaneously. How to Strengthen Your Sense of Self in Order to Reduce Negative Thoughts
> The goal is to describe your value system in detail. That’s the first step.
2. Determine to make your choices, not those of others. The decisions you make should mainly benefit you and your health. If you have a spouse or kids, their needs also come into the picture. But that does not mean you should neglect yourself while taking care of others.
> Take time to focus on yourself without any distractions. Choose the activities that you enjoy and are in line with your values. How to Strengthen Your Sense of Self in Order to Reduce Negative Thoughts
> In the past, you might’ve allowed others to decide for you. Perhaps you wanted a different career path or a different partner. But you don’t have to do that now. It’s time to take control of your life.
3. Set healthy boundaries. Boundaries place limits on things that need your energy. They also help you manage your time. These resources are precious, but they don’t last forever. So, it’s essential to set and maintain your boundaries.
> You are the only one who can protect your sense of self. It requires an honest assessment of how you spend your time and energy. A person who sets healthy boundaries places importance on themselves. It causes them to respect themselves more and feel better about it.
> Healthy boundaries also help a person to sense their wants and desires. This self-awareness leads to enhanced self-confidence. When you achieve this, you are less likely to let others control your life. How to Strengthen Your Sense of Self in Order to Reduce Negative Thoughts
4. Use affirmations and practice positive self-talk. Affirmations are positive statements that you repeat to yourself several times each day.
> The overall goal is to be more positive. That’s what will lead you to a stronger sense of self. And a stronger sense of self will help you reduce negative thoughts.
Remember to view difficulties as paths that can lead you to know yourself.
Dig deep and find out who you are. It’s time to get in touch with your identity — to give yourself a sense of self. Remember that it’s okay to fail at first but keep working on it because it will lead you to a stronger sense of self and a more fulfilling way of living.
How to Strengthen Your Sense of Self in Order to Reduce Negative Thoughts